Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mehndi Laga Rakhna !!!!

Heyi,

This blog post today is inspired by the mehendi i got done yesterday for my best friends engagement tomorrow.  Its gonna be her day and i start off this post wishing her a happy engagement and courtship period.  

Mehndi Laga Rakhna 
Doli Saja Ke Rakhna 
Lene Tujhe O Gori 
Aayenge Tere Sajna 

which means

Put your henna on and keep the wedding palanquin decorated.
Beautiful girl, your beloved will come to take you away.

The above is one of the most famous mehendi songs from a bollywood blockbuster.  These songs and the portrayal of mehendi function in the movies, makes every girl desire and dream of having a marriage. Mehendi function is an integral part of every Indian marriage. It is also one of the fun part of marriage where all the ladies get together to apply mehendi, sing songs teasing the bride . 
 
Mehendi is normally applied on the hands, legs, arms of the bride as part of tradition on the previous night of the wedding.  there are various designs and also designs adapted from different countries.  It is part of the culture for over 5000 yrs now and carries a lot of value to a marriage.  According to our ancestors, the more darker the mehendi, the more the husbands love towards his wife.  And i strongly believe in it. I dunno why, or may be even because my mehendi always turns out to be really dark. I believe in this too. the bride shouldn't do any house work until her marriage mehendi fades away. That too would work to my advantage cause my mehendi in hand normally stays relatively longer.  
This is a kind of body art which is not as painful as its other counterparts like tattoo and piercing.  It also does not stay longer than a month enabling us to try new designs often.   
In Hindu marriages, the brides henna is also more beautiful and intricate than the other ones as it is her special day.  The henna time was the few moments before the marriage when the elders in the family gave their advices and pointers for the girl as the applying of mehendi took many hours.  
Besides all this tradition, Mehendi presently has become a lavish affair and a status quo.  They conduct it a day or two before the wedding and do it in a very pompous way.  The bridegroom and their family is also invited(this was done in the past). 
Anyway, with this piece of information i gave u am leaving the girls drool over their lovely mehendi functions while i drool over mine. I just cant wait to have that special day of my life with my mehendi.  (I know Sowmi, U d already be drooling.. Its Ok, Wake up!!)

Cheers

1 comment:

Meow said...

Aishu,
Very very informative post. My love towards mehandhi has increased manifold after this particular line..

"the more darker the mehendi, the more the husbands love towards his wife"

Now, am gonna check out everytime I apply mehandi as to how much my husband gonna love me in future :P

Romance is....

People who speak to me know that I do keep coming back to this topic pretty often cause it is very close to my heart! Romance always is! ...