Saturday, September 14, 2013

Marketers say "You Need It"

In one of these random weekday evenings, where I had a chance (read:no choice but) to sit and watch NDTV Profit. Ya! My dad likes such channels. Most of the dads do..
Being my usual self, it all started with commenting on anchors clothes and accent and all that - blame it on my limited knowledge on profits !!
It was a real estate show where they displayed all posh buildings, facilities with their prices and all that in all these newly developed cities like gurgaon, mohali etc. Further focusing on the show and the content, I found them talking about margins and profits, while I noted that my dad was watching it closely too. While I reached for the remote to change, he said "wait am watching".. I jus looked at him and said "Gurgaon?? How these people are Creating a Need na appa" He turned saw me and turned back..
May be he thought - This girl is brainless.. But on the contrary ! May be I was right !! He had no comments.. Turning pages in Masslows Heirarchy of Needs ! Or even primary basic needs.. Was n house just a basic need(safety to be precise).. Having house in Luxury is perfectly acceptable too ! Cause u can afford it and what else do u earn for ? But 2 to 3 houses, jus to buy, sell and buy again !! Where things started way back in trading, lending interest, has now come to a level of playing with real estate for just money. A lot of these luxury flats in multi storey apartments, remain locked. Cause owners(investors is the word for it) are waiting for the right time to sell.
And there the money goes, to builders who just build for the sake of it, those cracked out people who advertise it, those actors who endorse it and of course to NDTV Profit too.. Even made me think ! Why would someone sell houses on Profit? His selling pitch was so perfect, nice great things about the house, about never before customer experience, state of art and all that.. Yes boss ! We ve seen it all ! But is there a choice ? Flipside of Marketing !! Creating The Need.. Where marketing for awareness now part of marketing history..
Jus hoping dad's not falling for it and we don own a house in Mohali !! 😉 (I am just joking Dad! Incase u got to read this !!) ha ha ha !!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicee one sis, the connect to maslows hierarchy was just so perfect.." Creating the need"

Vilasini Ganesan said...

Few months back you & your friends were discussing about "Gelato" I was like, Really..Gelato in Chennai.. Anyways..what I want to know is..How did u get introduced to Gelato, Did u tell ur friends the health benefit of Gelato..Do Chennaivasis care about the health benefit..there u go, more flavors of Gelato in Ice Cream places..AND benefits of Gelato is advertised on TV..psychology..So is it Creating the Need or Reading your mind? go figure..I love your articles, keep writing more..

Romance is....

People who speak to me know that I do keep coming back to this topic pretty often cause it is very close to my heart! Romance always is! ...