Monday, October 19, 2009

2 States...

Heyi,

Damn Yaar.. I wanted ta share the review of the book first and Sowmi did it first... I have been typin this post for 2 days not finding time ta complete it.. I feel sad.. seriously.. Anyway.. I will share my opinion.

It was about my latest Book.. 2 States by Chetan Bhagat... Its about Inter-Caste sorry Inter State marriages.. A nice light read. But it did make me actually think.. Is it such a taboo to marry a guy from another community ??

This book 2 states was an autobiography. I would not call it a complete autobiography cause there was a lot of drama and fiction added to it(this I call Masala). The story revolved around a Tam Brahm(Tamil Brahmin), a namesake vegetarian girl and a Punjabi kudi boy. Both of them Big heads. IIM geeks. They meet at IIM and fall for each other and practically live together for 2 years. And while leaving decide to convince their parents. Our hero comes down to Chennai first and opens up the trap for her family, manages to trap them too !! While its the madame who finds it difficult with a most unacceptable mother and a present but non existent father. How at last the marriage happens in Chennai.. In the tam Brahm style not to forget the mickey mouse underwear seen through his translucent Dhothi.
This made me think as to if its really difficult adapting to different cultures. For example if a girl and guy from different communities marry will they be happy ? There can be 2 points to it..
  1. Their love for each other might keep them going and they might sacrifice things for each other and adjust too.. brings a lot of mutual understanding and harmony.
  2. They might each expect the other person to adjust, sacrifice and say u do it if u love me and finally you know where it leads you too.
I am not against any inter community marriages though., If there is a lot of understanding Wow. nothing like it !! I also had another hitch. Whose style will the marriage be conducted in? So researching i found that it can be anyway. So, y not both the ways so that there is an opportunity ta get married twice. I know ma just going into too much detail. Still..

This book i finish in just 1 and a half days. And also the book kept me really happy.. that's about the book.. Diwali was fun and i had a great time. Post Diwali was Aadhavan film.. Which i think i would have spit on the screen if not for Surya.

Apart from that work keeps me busy.. Guitar keeps me going.. and my dance performance dates keep me on the move.. But blog is where all comes together so see you soon with another post..

Cheers

4 comments:

Meow said...

sooper book la :) ???

Haddock said...

Is it such a taboo to marry a guy from another community ??.................... some still cling to this without actually knowing the reason.

Gracelyne said...

I sense u r tamil too.. the way the story unfolded it was like watching a bollywood masala.. more precisely.. "bomarillu/santoshsubramani" type on a bigger projection =P
I was expecting too much of Chetan..So was quite disappointed..But Still Its a pretty good book! \m/

PS: Hi5 - even i wanted to post the review first online.But by the end of the day changed my mind.
=)

Anonymous said...

Where is the taboo? I'm sorry I haven't read this book but if there is a taboo in the family, he/she will not be going out. It is meant to be to keep your parent s happy if they have tried to keep you happy. If your parents are fools that won't give up the things without knowing a reason, then be a fool. If they aren't, then try convincing them. In the process, you might find valuable points that could make them right or more probably make you right(remember? they love you). There's a taboo says Chetan?

Romance is....

People who speak to me know that I do keep coming back to this topic pretty often cause it is very close to my heart! Romance always is! ...